The Frank James Hospital is a Grade 2 Listed Arts & Crafts cottage hospital, situated in East Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
Frank L. James died during an expedition to Africa and the house was built as a Memorial to him by his brothers . It was designed as a Seaman's Home in 1893. At the end of the Boar Wars, Princess Beatrice von Battenburg, helped set up a trust to convert the building into Frank James Cottage Hospital and on June 18th 1903 it was officially opened. It remained a very much loved cottage hospital until 2002 when it was sold by the NHS.
After 10 years of vandalism, neglect and a failed attempt of converting the building, a dedicated group was formed in March 2012 to bring attention to the dilapidated condition of the former Frank James Hospital. We meet monthly, usually on a Sunday to maintain the once beautiful grounds. Our main aim though, by keeping Frank James in the spotlight, is to ensure that the building is repaired and saved for future generations!